Just got back from a whirlwind trip across Southeast Asia (more on that later) and was pleasantly surprised to discover that my blog has been nominated for the Liebster Award. I’m new to the blogosphere and frankly I had no idea that awards for blogs even existed! Thanks sunsetchasingnomad for the nomination. For great photos & interesting insights do check her blog out!
As mentioned in sunsetchasingnomad, the Liebster Award is aimed at recognizing promising blogs that have fewer than 200 followers and to promote the discovery of new blogs. Great validation for newbie bloggers like me to keep going!
Here are the Liebster Award “rules” (copied from SunsetChasingNomad Post):
- Thank the person who nominated you for a Liebster Award and link their blog to your post.
- Answer the 11 questions they’ve asked you.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who have 200 followers or fewer for the award.
- Ask 11 questions to your nominees.
- Let your nominees know you nominated them once you’ve posted about your Liebster Award.
- Add the Liebster Award badge to your blog!
Here are my answers to SunsetChasingNomad’s Questions:
1. What made you want to start your blog?
The Solo Traveller is my first real attempt at blogging. I’ve always enjoyed writing since an early age. Ever since I caught the travel bug, it naturally meant more stories to share and more to write about! I try to simplify travelling by sharing tips/advice from my personal experiences. DIY Budget Travelling isn’t that hard really! I hope that my readers will be inspired by my blog to do the same and travel the world. On a more personal level, it also serves as an online repository/journal of my experiences. I like how I can revisit the past with just a few clicks.
2. What do you do when you’re not traveling?
Currently I’m serving my nation in the army. I’ll be enrolling in university next year so I guess the frequency of my travels will unfortunately have to taper down.
3. Who’s your hero?
My Parents. They’re the reason why I’m who I am today. They are also incredibly supportive of my travels. My parents have travelled a fair bit in their youth so they share tips whenever applicable.
4. What’s your favorite travel memory?
My favorite travel memory at the moment would be roaming the streets of Rome with Inacio (A new found Brazilian friend I made in the hostel) just chatting about life. It was magical how two strangers who just met could be so open with each other. It felt like we’ve been friends for a long time. That experience taught me a great deal about people.
5. What are the 3 things you can’t travel without?
a) Phone – I use the camera to take pictures of my travels. It’s also my window to the internet which I need for multiple things (Communicating with my family back home, searching for directions/places, Translator etc). It’s an all-in-one portable device!
b) Comfortable pair of shoes- I do a lot of walking on my travels so a comfortable pair of shoes is a must. I’m currently using a pair of Doc Marts and they’ve served my feet very well across the globe.
c) ATM Card- In case of emergencies, it’s always important to have backup cash!
6. What’s the best foreign food you’ve tasted? A photo perhaps?
I’m a foodie so I really like multiple cuisines. But if I really have to choose, its got to be French cuisine in Paris. I had some of the best meals of my life there.
7. What’s #1 on your Bucket List?
I’ve not gone about really writing down my Bucket List yet. (Maybe I should!) From the top of my head, I’ll say climbing one of the mountains in the Himalayas would definitely be on my bucketlist!
8. How did your thirst for travel begin?
It probably started with visits from my relatives from around the world. As I grew older, I began to develop a keen passion for Football. That made me want to travel to watch those games up close.
9. What’s one life hack that everyone should know?
Don’t be shy. Talk to people! You’ll be pleasantly surprised 🙂
10. What’s the soundtrack of your life right now?
11. A photo that sums up your day.
Here are my nominees:
SunsetChasingNomad – Minimalist blog with beautiful pictures & provoking thoughts
JustVisitSiena – Informative blog about the city of Siena written by a local
Gotthepostcard – A young lady’s travels around the world. Interesting stuff!
Backpackerlee – Very informative & resourceful blog for all travellers. Brilliant written!
Ryan.Thoughts – A young man’s travels around the globe. Beautiful pictures!
Solmine – Personal travelogue with beautiful pictures & videos
diagnosingwanderlust – A personal blog. Interesting read!
WoodlandstoWoking – The blog that began my fascination with train travel!
The Transcendental Tourist – Brilliantly written travel blog!
Boarding Pass – Nice layout & well written articles.
My World Adventure – Travelogue of a young lady who set off to explore the world with just a single ticket.
Here are my questions for those who are interested to participate:
1. What got you into blogging?
2. Advice for newbie bloggers?
3. No.1 Travel Tip?
4. What do you do when you’re not travelling?
5. Best travel experience?
6. Which country/city in the world do you see yourself living in besides your own and why?
7. Favorite quote?
8. Favorite movie/TV show?
9. Most bizarre food you’ve ever eaten? A picture of it perhaps?
10. Soundtrack of your life right now?
11. Where to next?